Ready. That’s the word that defines Ryan H. James, the founder of James Law, LLC. Less than a year out of law school, Ryan founded James Law from the spare room of his home located in McKeesport, Pennsylvania because he was eager to make a difference and to help others.
Focused and determined to pursue practical and meaningful results for as many people as he could, the scope of Ryan’s earlier engagements were far reaching, landing him in any court available to pursue justice on behalf of his clients. Ryan criss-crossed Pennsylvania and handled a variety of matters early on, opposing parties like municipalities and public utilities, universities and dioceses, and large and small businesses, be it contractors, insurance companies, or real-estate agencies to name a few.
It did not take long for Ryan to be recognized for his work. Local newspapers, twice, named Ryan as the Readers’ Choice “Best Attorney.” Since, Ryan has persisted diligently on behalf of his clients, often obtaining successful outcomes such as in the following representative matters:
Not Guilty. After three day jury trial, client was acquitted of charges of first-degree murder and charges arising under the Uniform Firearms Act. (Allegheny County)
Judgment of Acquittal. After two years of litigation and one previous dismissal, client was acquitted in felony theft and conspiracy case, which involved 2,000-plus pages of documentary evidence. (Allegheny County)
Suppression of Evidence. After suppression hearing, Court held that client’s car was illegally searched by Pennsylvania State Police trooper and accordingly suppressed discovered contraband, which could have justified lengthy prison sentence. (Somerset County)
Ineffective Assistance of Counsel. After a PCRA hearing, Court vacated client’s prior sentence that had made client a “Person Not to Possess a Firearm,” and granted a new trial on the grounds that client’s prior attorney rendered ineffective assistance of counsel. Result of new trial was such that client’s constitutional right to bear arms was restored. (Allegheny County)
* Ryan frequently serves as court-appointed, post-conviction counsel. He has served as post-conviction counsel for well over 60 Post-Conviction Relief Act (PCRA) petitioners, many of whom are serving life sentences.
Dismissal for Lack of Personal Jurisdiction. Allegheny County Senior Judge R. Stanton Wettick, Jr., sustained preliminary objections for lack of personal jurisdiction, which had the effect of dismissing a contract suit (seeking treble damages) against an out-of- state home-appliance manufacturer.
Grant of Partial Summary Judgment. Court entered partial judgment on behalf of client who sued municipality for overcharging municipal fees.
Truly, Ryan’s passion for people drives his commitment to excellence. It is that passion, too, that has also committed Ryan to give his time as a volunteer attorney with the Neighborhood Legal Services Association and the federal district court; to serve as an arbitrator in the Allegheny County Court of Common Pleas; and to serve as his community’s former solicitor.
Outside of his practice and community involvement, however, Ryan can generally be found in South Park Township where he resides with his wife, Kristen, and their two boxers, Lucy and Gunner. In their spare time, both enjoy traveling, sporting events, and the company of their family and friends.
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- Thomas M. Cooley Law School, J.D., magna cum laude
- Law Review, Managing Assoc. Ed.; National Moot Court Team
President’s Achievement Award
Distinguished Student Award
John D. Voelker Award
The Fitzgerald Award
The Earl Dayton Award
- Allegheny College, B.A., cum laude
- Alden Scholar
- Michigan Supreme Court
- American Bar Association, Member
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Member
- Solo/Small Firm Section, Vice-Chair
- Young Lawyers Division
- Planning Ahead Committee
- State Bar of Michigan
- Sen. John H. Heinz History Center, “History Uncorked” Committee
- Pittsburgh Young Professionals (Former Board Member)
- Borough of White Oak, Pa. (Former Solicitor)
Honors and Awards
- 2015 Readers’ Choice (Silver Award) Winner-“Best Attorney,” Trib Total Media
- 2014 Readers’ Choice (Gold Award) Winner-“Best Attorney,” The Daily News
- 2013 Pittsburgh’s 50 Finest, Whirl Magazine/Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (W.Pa.)